Friday, January 16, 2009

Rust, Dirt, Paint



I shot these images back in September 2008 and up until about an hour ago had completely forgotten about them. It's funny how sometimes we get so busy with "things" that we forget what we've done in the past or we neglect to take note of what is going on today. Anyway, I was reminded of these photos after taking a class from the same instructor I had for this assignment at the Art Institute of Colorado. The criteria was to utilize the zone system to create a series of three images.

I began with the idea of how man can overwhelm the environment with our "things" and how it reacts to our presence. I specifically was focused on the idea that we can destroy the world around us when we think in the "now" and when we seek to take over our environment. I find it slightly ironic that I had forgotten about this project when the ideal of it was to be conscious of the past, present and future.

Technically, I wanted to shoot close up to concentrate on the shapes, forms, and lines showing the abstract view of nature and man. All the images were shot on medium format color transparency and then the chromes were scanned to computer utilizing a hybrid work flow. I also wanted to unify them through bold or dominate colors and hard edges.


Rust on a light pole


Dried and cracked dirt


Paint on a curb

2 comments:

Jill said...

Love them! the colors, texture, concept. Well done for keeping up the blog!
Jill

Winterkr said...

I love this as a triptych. Great use of texture!

Katherine