Friday, January 2, 2009

Portraits




This is a portrait I took using all natural lighting around sunset in the summer. The assignment was to shoot either pain or passion. For me this photo represents the idea that outward appearances do not always represent what is inside and beauty does not bring happiness.



Flash freaks me out! Well it did before I did this photo session. Until this point I hadn't used multiple stobes on location, only in the studio. For this portrait I used three strobes on location in December. I worried myself a little more than necessary thinking I wouldn't get the light where I wanted or I would miss something and later find I wanted to change it after the session was done. But in the end, I am more than pleased with the way it turned out and the lesson I learned was to just get started and do it.

If something isn't right than move a light and shoot it again. Move the subject and shoot it again. Shoot a lot even after you think you have what you want that way when you're done you have multiple options to choose from. Also, I'm still learning and still in school and I'm lucky enough to have so many people (classmates and instructors) to give me constructive criticism. So if it's not perfect I have resources to give me their honest opinions.

Flash has intimidated me in the past but I'm looking forward to pulling out the strobes and giving them a chance. The only way to get better at a craft is to do it again and again until you can do it with your eyes closed.

Thanks to my patient model, Shannon, who posed for the above portraits.

No comments: